Sierra Leone has reported more than 9,000 new cases, and the number of deaths rose to 6,879, according to the latest data from the country’s Health Ministry.
Health Minister Kofi Opare said the total number of new infections since the outbreak began in December had increased by more than 3,000.
He also said there were 7,919 new deaths in the country, including 4,811 cases and 1,068 deaths.
“We are currently at the peak of the epidemic in terms of cases and deaths,” he told Reuters news agency.
“That’s when we need the maximum help.”
The United Nations’ Ebola response team in the capital, Freetown, said the country is now in the “final stages” of managing the outbreak.
It said there had been 1,813 deaths and 6,500 cases.
The virus has devastated the country.
The World Health Organization said this week that the death toll in Sierra Leonese had risen to 7,631, including 875 cases and 2,072 deaths.
A UNICEF spokesman said the number had risen “to around 3,700”.
Sierra Leonean officials said they had started a new phase of the crisis, saying that if they do not achieve an immediate halt to the spread of the virus, “we will not be able to save this country”.
Sierra Leone is the largest of the West African nations affected by the virus.
In the last month alone, more than 2,100 people have died in the outbreak and more than 7,500 are thought to have died from the virus in the past month.
On Tuesday, Sierra Leoneans held an emotional rally at the presidential palace, chanting “We have never had this kind of crisis”. More: